Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Travel: The Sagada Saga; Cave Connection experience




It was early lunch when we reached the proper town of Sagada, Mountain Province. To visit Sagada, is one of my lists to visit. However, I did not expect that this 2013 that I will be going to visit this place.


According kay pareng Wiki:

Sagada is a small town in the mountain province of Luzon in the Philippines. Many visit for its cool and refreshing climate, beautiful caves and hanging coffins as well as the serene mountains. Take enough cash with you, when you visit it. There is no ATM there. 

It would take 14 hours of land travel to reach this place. When we arrived at Canaway Inn, we had our quick rest and lunch in Salt and Pepper. I highly appreciate the ambiance of Salt and Pepper Restaurant, though the price of the food there is quite cozy. But, you would sense the magnificent work of art of Cordillera region. 


One of itinerary is to experience the Cave Connection activity but this is an optional activity. Our tour guide Kuya Jay and his team was our guide inside Sumaging and Lumiag Cave. There is a rule, once you go through, there's no way to back out. It was  a great challenge for me and to my travel buddies. 



Well I was quite terrified to enter to a cave, because it is my first time to try this adventure. We did not have any plans to go through this cave, because it was an optional activity. But then, here we are. Lumiang Cave, as they've described it, involved a lot of crawling through small spaces, and some underwater submersion, with the whole Cave Connection experience lasting for about 4 to 5 hours. 






I was a little beat scared what if I'm going to run out oxygen inside the cave? Though I thank my travel buddies, because everyone was our strength. 








The moment we entered the cave, I felt certain that we made the right choice of not choosing the Cave Connection. We were all spelunking newbies and Sumaguing and Lumiang Cave were pretty challenging in itself. We went down holes and slopes that looked impossibly difficult to get to and we went back up using ropes and stuff. I swear, it was a weekend when we all put our girl scout and boys scout rappelling skills into really good use. Also, I found out that we all had instant smiles when a camera was in front of us, despite the difficulty of the situation. 


It looked really dark and scary at first, but once the tour guides lit up the lamps, we got to really appreciate the beauty that nature has created.  It was amazing how light just makes all the difference. The amazing thing is, after everything, bat dung will not, in the slightest bit, get in the way of the joy of surviving this beautiful cave.

There are different rock formation, that I highly appreciate. In Palawan, you will not be able to touch nor feel the rocks, because our trail is the river. However, here, it is magnificent. I appreciate the coldness inside the cave. 

The first part was not that slippery, it is dry, until it became slippery.  Each part of the journey to middle earth was a challenge, and all the time we were like "We're really going down there?!?!" and "I can't do that!" or "kuya, you can't possibly lift me while standing in that position" or "I don't wanna die yet, Kuyaaaaaa!" I tell you, we were overreacting, because the tour guides showed us that the impossible IS possible and that we can achieve great things. :)) Also, no one died!









According to them "tapak-tapakan niyo na sila, huwag lang ang kanilang pagkalalaki!" LOL! A lot of photos were taken by the tour guides, and these people are honest people. I entrust to them my valuable things, then they gave it back to me.  


We had our best shots inside the cave and I think we did a great JOB! 


It takes mighty knees and determination to go survive this kind of adventure. I'm happy to say that we survived these activity. 

Muscles aching and bodies tired and not forgetting the natural "aircon" in Sagada) we all slept incredibly well that night.











***I acknowledged GAFA for their Great And Affordable Adventure and  Kuya Mon***

Travel: Sagada Saga:  Power Trekking to Bomod'ok Falls

No comments:

Post a Comment